The Masters Quarters at the west end of the North Range formed a palatial dwelling for the master of the Hospital with all the comforts and staff expected for such a grand domestic setting. The best insight we have to the lifestyle of the Masters and the comfort of their quarters can be found in a Strand Magazine Article from 1892.
General Lord Wolseley lived in the Quarters with his wife and daughter from 1891 to 1896. He was a local of the area having been born up the road in Goldenbridge House in 1833. Strand Magazine wrote an article about Lord Wolseley’s tenure and extensively photographed his quarters. Most of the furniture was the property of the Wolseley’s and was transported from their family home in London. Once the Master’s position was amalgamated with the position of commander of the British army in Ireland the Master no longer had to be a single man with no dependents. Entertaining dignitaries also became an important role and the dining room was extended in the early 19th century by Francis Johnston to accommodate larger gatherings.
The IMMA Heritage Trail is kindly supported by An Chomhairle Oidhreachta / The Heritage Council and the Office of Public Works. OSI Historic map details are provided courtesy of Tailte Éireann.
Please note this is archive content and may not display optimally.
Welcome to IMMA. Our website may not work correctly in your browser. We only support IE 10+ (PC only), Chrome 60+, Firefox 55+, Safari (9+ Mac / 5+ PC).