The Irish Museum of Modern Art’s first summer festival, SUMMER RISING, proved to be a great success with 7000 people attending over ten days of events. The festival celebrated the exhibition Propositions by Brazilian artist Hélio Oiticica and included day and night time art, music, performance and food events. Taking place in IMMA’s galleries, stunning formal gardens and historic North Wing, opening up these spaces to new audiences.
Day time events included two full days of free activities and a programme of family events that ran throughout the week. Highlights included story and picture time with Panti; an electro-pop céilí with dance duo Up and Over It; a series of musical pop up performances; day-long art workshops with Mobile Art School; and the Concrete Tiki, a pop up café with hourly food sittings by The Hare and The Cake Café.
All night time events sold out in advance which included the popular THISISPOPBABY performance, art and club extravaganza WERK; the IMMA Summer Party with a specially commissioned edition of Gracelands that transformed IMMA’s formal gardens with artists’ performances and screenings; and the IMMA Banquet a unique feast in IMMA’s Chapel, curated by The Cake Café, who brought together chef Jess Murphy and artist Mark Garry to create a stunning visual and sensory experience.
Visitors responses to the festival via Twitter were extremely positive. The following are some examples and more can be read at https://tagboard.com/SummerRising
– Gorgeous afternoon @IMMAIreland #summerrising #lovedublin kids paradise #edibleart
– Great night, beautiful surroundings, great company + food #summerrising
– Congrats to our pals @IMMAIreland on #SummerRising – one of our highlights so far this year!
– Excellent night at the #imma #dublin #summerrising
– Loved the noisy kids with leaf blower machines covering everyone in dust @IMMAIreland #SummerRising
– Such a beautiful night-stuff of dreams start to finish. Well done all involved! #Imma #SummerRising
– Such a cool random night @IMMAIreland #SummerRising last night. Definitely putting it on the list for next year.
SUMMER RISING was made possible by the OPW Per Cent for Art Scheme.
For further information and images please contact Monica Cullinane at Tel: +353 1 612 9900; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
30 July 2014
Please note this is archive content and may not display optimally.
Welcome to IMMA. Our website may not work correctly in your browser. We only support IE 10+ (PC only), Chrome 60+, Firefox 55+, Safari (9+ Mac / 5+ PC).